Virtual Dance Classes
Dance classes for Summer 2020 are being offered virtually via Zoom. Classes will be live and interactive following the listed schedule. Registered families will receive an email each week with updated access information for their class.
Whatever life might throw at us, we must keep dancing. - Annabel Abbs
LET’S CELEBRATE! We appreciate your effort to keep dance alive no matter what life throws your way. Students who enroll for summer and miss no more than one class are invited to join their teacher for a special celebration when we can finally be together in the studio again. Celebration will include a fun workshop, treats, and time to hang out together. Details to come...
Due to our current platform, we are not offering purchase options through the Schauer Arts Center this summer. Families may buy from an outlet of choice for Summer 2020. Families who plan to enroll in 2020-2021 School Year classes should anticipate Dress Code updates for the Fall Session. Details will be available in our Fall 2020 brochure.
Tap and Hard Shoe Dancers: Hard dance shoes can easily ruin nice floors, and concrete can easily ruin dance shoes (as well as the body!). We recommend using a small panel of wood laid on top of a beach towel or rug. Many hardware and building material stores have pre-cut panels that are between 4-6 ft in length and/or width, or have the ability to cut them in-store for you.
Contemporary and Ballet Dancers: We recommend setting up your dance space on a hardwood or kitchen floor. Otherwise, many hardware and building supply stores sell pre-cut pieces of laminated wood or linoleum flooring scraps that will help students slide the foot properly for warm-up exercises. The standard size of 4-6 ft in length and/or width will work just fine.
Dancing from home brings some flexibility in attire. However, we highly encourage families to follow the guidelines below to help students keep their classroom habits sharp.
- All Classes: Hair must be secured away from the face. Bun is required for Ballet 1 and higher.
- Boys, All Classes: White T-shirt. Black Athletic Shorts or Pants.
- Ballet, Girls: Plain Leotard of Choice. Pink or Neutral Tights. Pink Ballet Shoes.
- Contempo, Girls: Black Leotard of Choice. Leggings or Pink/Neutral Tights with Fitted Dance Shorts. Tights should be footless or convertible. Canvas Half Soles, Socks, or Bare Feet.
- Irish, Girls: White T-Shirt. Plain Black Shorts. Irish Shoes*.
*Littles & Irish 1: Irish shoes are optional — Socks or Ballet Shoes Acceptable.
- Tap, Girls: Black Leotard of Choice. Black Leggings or Black Tights with Fitted Dance Shorts.
Shoes should be black.
Since January 2007, the Schauer School of Arts (SSA) has offered dance instruction that focuses on building students’ abilities through the development of a strong technical foundation. We offer classes in Ballet, Contemporary, Irish and Tap for ages 3+.
- To provide experienced and knowledgeable instructors who love to teach
- To help students develop a strong technical foundation and grow as artists
- To ensure a nurturing and supportive environment for students
SSA dance students are offered opportunities to perform throughout the year, including:
Leaps & Bounds Dance Showcase
Held annually on the weekend following Mother's Day. Takes place in the Ruth A. Knoll Theater at the Schauer Arts Center. Open to all students enrolled in Winter/Spring Session. Subject to Participation Fee and additional rehearsal time outside of class.
Schauer Mainstage & Family Shows
SSA dance students have had the pleasure of performing with Paddy Homan & the Noble Call, Two on Tap, Dance Alive! National Ballet, Wausau Dance Theatre, and New York Theatre Ballet.
Schauer Irish Dance Troupe
Semi-professional dance troupe open to students enrolled in Irish 2 or higher. Audition required. Has performed at Holiday Folk Fair International, Scoop deVille, and ShamROCK at Washington County Fairgrounds, in addition to many area senior living communities and schools.
Irish Dance Students
Have had the pleasure of performing at Milwaukee's Irish Fest for the past two years.
Schauer School of the Arts dance classes are held at two locations:
- SCHAUER MAIN BUILDING: 147 N Rural Street, Hartford map
- CREATIVE ARTS STUDIOS: 30 S Johnson Street, Hartford map